The Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability invites applications for the position of sessional lecturer/ post-doctoral teaching fellow for the January – April 2020 period to teach an undergraduate course focusing on an introduction to sustainability. The salary range for this position will depend on qualifications and experience. Applicants must hold a PhD (or be enrolled in a PhD Program) in a related field and have demonstrated an interest in teaching at the undergraduate level. Successful candidates will also have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team environment.
ASIC 220: This is an introductory review course, and as such it will provide a comprehensive introduction to sustainability. This means that the coverage of topics will be broad and encompass a number of disciplines including environmental science, economics, political science and psychology. Students are not expected to have a background in any of these disciplines.
The course will explore questions related to the sustainability for which people may have strong opinions. These include:
- How and why do humans misuse and abuse the environment?
- What has a greater impact on the planet’s health: population or consumption?
- Are economic development and environmental protection incompatible?
- Can technological fixes solve environmental problems?
- How do you know if a product or action is ‘green’?
- Is economics the key? Can ‘getting the price’ solve environmental problems?
- Are there limits to growth? Can we leave the world better off for future generations?
- How might we live sustainably and equitably on the planet?
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. The position is subject to Canadian immigration requirements; priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and names of two referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for complete applications is October 11th, 2019