RES students are eligible to take courses at other institutions in Canada via the Western Dean’s Agreement (WDA) or the Graduate Exchange Agreement. Any courses taken at a partner university must fill an integral part of your program and should only be taken on in consultation with your supervisor. Both agreements require application and approval to take the course several weeks ahead of the course start date.
Western Dean’s Agreement
The Western Deans’ Agreement was established in 1974 as an expression of co-operation and mutual support among universities offering graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichment of graduate programs in participating universities. Under the terms of this agreement, graduate students of the member institutions may take courses at another member institution without having to pay the host university’s tuition fees.
Students will qualify for the fee waiver if they:
- present the Authorization Form: Western Deans’ Agreement signed by the Dean or designate and department head or graduate advisor of a participating institution specifying the courses to be taken for credit toward a graduate degree program at their home institution;
- are in good standing in a graduate program at the home institution;
- have paid all current and back fees at the home institution.
- Order an official transcript once the non-UBC course is complete: Upon completion of a course taken at another institution, you must order and official transcript from that institution and either have it either sent directly to IRES, or bring the transcript in its sealed envelope to the IRES Graduate Program Manager.
- Doctoral Students: Courses taken by doctoral students under the Western Deans’ Agreement will not be credited to their degree programs.
Graduate Exchange Agreement
The Graduate Exchange Agreement was established in 1974. Under the terms of this agreement, graduate students in good standing at UBC, McGill University, University of Toronto and University of Montréal may take courses at another member institution without having to pay the host university’s tuition fees.
Please present the Graduate Exchange Agreement: Authorization and Course Registration form signed by the Dean or designate and department head or graduate advisor specifying the courses to be taken for credit toward a graduate degree program at your home institution.
The terms of the agreement for the Graduate Exchange Agreement are the same as those set out for the Western Deans’ Agreement.