The Freda Pagani Awards have been endowed by family and friends for graduate students in the Resources, Environment and Sustainability graduate program. As founder and director of the Sustainability Office at UBC, Freda helped to develop green building guidelines for campus facilities, initiated an energy management program, created the UBC Social, Ecological, Economic, Development Students Program (SEEDS), and developed a community energy and water plan. In addition, Freda led the creation of the University’s first ecologically friendly building, the C.K. Choi Building. The following two awards are given each year:
• Freda Pagani Award for Outstanding Master’s Thesis ($600)
• Freda Pagani Award for Outstanding PhD Thesis ($600)
A faculty member nominates one student for each award. It does not have to be their student.
• The student’s supervisor must submit a letter of recommendation addressing the importance/quality of the student’s thesis work and a statement declaring the thesis to be the strongest that she/he had participated at the level (Master’s/PhD) in the last 12 months.
• This statement should be agreed to by at least 1 other RES Faculty or Faculty Associate who participated in the examination.
• Applications should only be made after the student’s oral defence.