Professor, School of Public Policy and Global Affairs
Canada Research Chair (T1, Sustainable Global Food Systems)
AERL Room 425
2202 Main Mall
The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4
Navin Ramankutty is Professor and Canada Research Chair (CRC) Tier 1 in Data Science for Sustainable Global Food Systems at the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs and IRES. His research program aims to understand how humans use and modify the Earth’s land surface for agriculture and its implications for the global environment. Using global Earth observations and numerical ecosystem models, his research aims to find solutions to the problem of feeding humanity with minimal global environmental footprint. He contributed to the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment report and to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. He was an editor of the journal Global Food Security and Global Ecology and Biogeography, and is an Associate Editor of Environmental Research Letters. He is a Leopold Leadership Fellow.
RMES 500T Global Food Security and Sustainability
1. Martellozzo, F., J. S. Landry, D. Plouffe, V. Seufert, P. Rowhani, and N. Ramankutty, Urban agriculture: a global analysis of the space constraint to meet urban vegetable demand, Environmental Research Letters, 9(6), 064025, 2014.
2. Ray, D. K., N. Ramankutty, N. D. Mueller, P. C. West, and J. A. Foley, Recent patterns of crop yield growth and stagnation, Nature Communications, 3, 1293, 2012.
3. Ramankutty, N., and J. Rhemtulla, Can intensive farming save nature?, Guest Editorial, Front. Ecol. Environ., 10(9), 455-455, 2012.
4. Seufert, V., N. Ramankutty, and J. A. Foley, Comparing the yields of organic and conventional agriculture, Nature, 485(7397), 229-232, 2012.
5. Foley, J. A., N. Ramankutty, K. A. Brauman, E. Cassidy, J. Gerber, M. Johnston, N. D. Mueller, C. O’Connell, D. K. Ray, P. C. West, C. Balzer, E. M. Bennett, S. R. Carpenter, J. Hill, C. Monfreda, S. Polasky, J. Rockström, J. Sheehan, S. Siebert, D. Tilman, and D. P. M. Zaks, Solutions for a Cultivated Planet, Nature, 478(7369), 337-342, 2011.
6. Deryng, D., W. J. Sacks, C. C. Barford, and N. Ramankutty, Simulating the effects of climate and agricultural management practices on global crop yield, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 25, GB2006, doi:10.1029/2009GB003765, 18 pp., 2011.
7. Ramankutty, N., E. Heller, and J. Rhemtulla, Prevailing Myths about Agricultural Abandonment and Forest Regrowth in the United States, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 100(3), 1-11, 2010.
8. Barona, E., N. Ramankutty, G. Hyman, and O. T. Coomes, The role of pasture and soybean in deforestation of the Brazilian Amazon, Environmental Research Letters, 5(2), 024002, 2010.
9. Ellis, E. C., and N. Ramankutty, Putting people in the map: Anthropogenic biomes of the world, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 6, 439-447, 2008.
10. Ramankutty, N., A. Evan, C. Monfreda, and J. A. Foley, Farming the Planet. 1: The Geographic Distribution of Global Agricultural Lands in the Year 2000, Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles, 22, GB1003, doi:10.1029/2007GB002952, 2008.