Manager of Sustainability and Climate Change
Link to full job description here.
The Manager of Sustainability and Climate Change is a new full time position that will lead the Sustainability Program at the District of Squamish. On July 2, 2019, District Council passed a Climate Emergency Resolution, a call for action on climate change that will result in strong policies and programs being enacted to mitigate climate change. As a result, the Manager of Sustainability and Climate Change will be strategically focused and play a critical role in leading climate change work, influencing policy and working with multiple stakeholders including community groups and all levels of government to achieve District-wide sustainability and climate change goals. Planning and leading public meetings and stakeholder workshops, researching and defining policies that reduce the District’s and community’s carbon footprint, and managing a team in the Sustainability portfolio are just some of the highlights of the responsibilities of this position.
For this high profile role, the successful candidate is a strategic and technical leader who is hardwired for seeking innovative solutions that protect and enhance the livability and sustainability of our community. Key experience and education requirements include a Bachelor degree in a related discipline and a minimum offive years’ of progressive sustainability-related professional experience with a minimum of 2 years of management experience. Experience working in local government is an asset.
If you are a passionate sustainability professional who is seeking a challenging and inspiring opportunity to make a difference in the community we live in, then we want to hear from you!
The District of Squamish is a growing community. With a small-town setting, spectacular natural environment, and world-class outdoor recreational opportunities, Squamish offers an incredible live-work-play lifestyle that few places can offer.
Please submit your cover letter and resume quoting competition #19-56 to: Human Resources
District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310, Squamish, BC V8B 0A3 E-mail: email@example.com
Application deadline: Until the position filled
Scroll down to view the full job advertisement:
|External Job Advertisement|
|Position:||Manager of Sustainability and Climate Change|
|Posting Date:||August 19, 2019|
|Closing Date:||September 9, 2019|
Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Engineering, the Manager of Sustainability and Climate Change works closely with District departments in the development, coordination, and administration of sustainability and climate change policies, practices and initiatives for the District of Squamish and the community at large. This position is responsible for establishing, overseeing and enhancing a District-wide sustainability program that includes assessing the impact of sustainability practices to the District, while balancing the District’s mission to protect and enhance the livability and sustainability of our community.
- Contributes to the success of our team and harmony of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding
- Leads the Sustainability Program at the District
- Identifies, reviews and assesses current sustainability services and programs within
- Conducts climate change and energy policy analysis by researching, collecting data, providing analysis and recommendations.
- Leads the integration of climate change mitigation and adaptation practices into all aspects of the District’s operations.
- Represents the District in the community to strengthen partnerships, identify innovative funding opportunities and advance areas of common
- Leads the District’s participation in local, provincial, national and international sustainability and climate
- Manages, motivates, trains and develops staff in the Sustainability portfolio including Solid Waste and Sustainable Transportation.
- Leads the development and implementation of the District’s community and corporate energy and emissions plans and
- Manages and reports on community and corporate GHG inventories, and manages CARIP
- In accordance with the Council Strategic Plan and the District’s Master Plans, develops and delivers on the goals, manages work planning, priorities and
- Engages the public by planning and leading public meetings, stakeholder workshops, surveys, email and letter correspondence, and contributing to content on the District’s
- Prepares calls for proposals for climate change and energy studies and designs, evaluates and awards assignments in accordance with the District’s Purchasing Policy, including managing the resulting
- Prepares and presents administrative reports, policy recommendations, records and correspondence to Council, Committees and
- Prepares relevant bylaw and policy updates as
- Coordinates and participates in multi-disciplinary project teams and District of Squamish
- Manages budgets related to climate change and sustainable energy department work and prepares budget submissions. Provides direction as necessary regarding solid waste and sustainable transportation
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of and demonstrated experience in sustainability principles, climate change adaptation and mitigation, and sustainable energy management
- Experience or familiarity with local government structure, authority and regulatory
- Proven ability to influence all levels of the organization including more senior
- Experience working effectively with a Board of Directors or Elected Officials to deliver strategic direction. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated strong leadership and innovative thinking in the development of policies and programs that promote an environmentally sustainable
- Proven skill and ability to manage and lead staff
- Ability to conduct comprehensive research and write policy
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to deal with people in a professional
- Excellent presentation and public speaking
- Strong teamwork, facilitation, project scoping and time management
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously with
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree related to sustainability, planning, engineering or environmental science, or a related discipline
- Minimum of five years’ of progressive sustainability-related professional experience with a minimum of 2 years of management
- Experience working within a municipal government an
- An equivalent combination of training, education, and
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 70 hours bi-weekly with a compressed work week (9 day fortnight).
Compensation: competitive salary based on experience and includes an excellent benefits package as well as a compressed work week.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition #) To: #19-56
Human Resources District of Squamish