February 8 2018
Call for Abstracts: ”GSCS Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference: Borders, Boundaries, and the Space Between”
Abstract submission deadline: March 31, 2018
Thursday April 26, 2018
Liu Institute for Global Issues
Inquiry in the social sciences is focused on borders and boundaries. Inequality – the social issue at the heart of social science – is premised on the inclusion of some and the exclusion of others. Studying inequality also requires operationalizing and categorizing all manner of phenomena into mutual exclusivity. This extends not only to the subject matter we analyze, but to our epistemologies as well. For example, sociologists categorize some sociology as ‘public’, some as ‘professional’; we tend to be sympathetic to particular theoretical traditions/ideologies over others; we tend to prefer either quantitative or qualitative analyses, and so on. Nevertheless, we imbricate across these categorizations, and there exists considerable space between them characterized by liminality, resilience, resistance, or resurgence. Because the notion of borders and boundaries in social science is broad and dynamic, we seek proposals that reflect, critique, expand on, and/or otherwise analyze an array of boundaries/borders or their interstices.
Some potential topics of interest include:
* Geography/national borders, migration, refugees, and climate change
* Socio-economic inequality and its attendant intersectionalities
* Identity/racial politics and social activism/advocacy
* Theoretical or conceptual analyses related to symbolic/performative boundaries
* Politics, civil society, and private life
* Social activism/protest
Presentations will be used as an intellectual platform for group discussions about these and other issues relating to the conference theme. This conference is an excellent opportunity for graduate students to connect to other researchers and gain valuable feedback about their work.
– Abstracts should be no more than 500 words
– Please include your full name, discipline, affiliated university, and contact information
– Abstracts should be single-spaced in .doc or .pdf format and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “GSCS 2018 Conference Abstract”
Abstract submissions from all social science/humanities disciplines are welcome!