April 26, 2017
SCIE 113, First-year Seminar in Science, is seeking graduate students to work as teaching assistants in the 2016/2017 academic year. Each TAship is for 192 hours. There are TAships available in each of Terms 1 and 2 in the regular 2017/2018 academic year.
In SCIE 113, first-year science students discuss what science is and how it is done, practice critical thinking, and learn to communicate effectively through writing. Teaching Assistants are integral to SCIE 113. They interact with students, encourage and support active learning in the classroom and take part in regular instructional support meetings with the full interdisciplinary teaching team. In addition to helping faculty in the classroom, SCIE 113 Teaching Assistants help with aspects of course administration including: pre-class activities and in-class active learning, preparing some class materials, facilitating classroom activities and providing feedback on student work.
- Enrolment in 2017/2018 in a graduate degree program in Science or in Science and Technology Studies (STS). STS candidates for this TAship must have a background in Science.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- The ability to work well on collaborative teams.
- Completion of an Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW), a teaching and learning course, or experience working directly with first-year students and/or using active learning techniques.
- Demonstrated interest in science education and/or the history, philosophy and/or sociology of science.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Interested? Please send a resume or cv and cover letter to: Alice Campbell, Instructional Designer/Course Coordinator, Science 113, firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of your cover letter, please describe what you think are the characteristics of excellent undergraduate teaching.
To learn more about SCIE 113, visit our page: http://www.science.ubc.ca/students/new/first/113
Deadline: May 3rd 2016, 5pm