REI strives to curate more sustainable products that inspire member trust and accelerate the adoption of sustainable practices across the outdoor industry. The Product Sustainability Manager is responsible for advancing and executing REI’s product sustainability strategy with our wholesale brands in partnership with our Private Brands and Merchandising divisions.
This role is focused on advancing the roadmap and executing key steps that support Merchandising, Private Brands, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, and Digital Retail in advancing brand-aligned product sustainability initiatives. This position defines measures of success that demonstrate progress towards product sustainability targets and related enterprise sustainability key performance indicators.
This position sits within REI’s Product Sustainability Department to ensure alignment and mutual support across programs. It reports to the Sr. Manager, Product & Supply Chain Sustainability and will work with leadership and employees across divisions, as well as external participants such as consultants, contractors, student groups, co-op members, and other stakeholders.
• Executes vision for wholesale product sustainability by working closely with Merchandising, Private Brands, and key wholesale vendors.
• Contributes to the development, management and implementation of Merchandising-related product sustainability strategies, programs, and multi-year plan. Identifies sustainability connection points and impacts of Merchandising strategic objectives.
• Serves as a project manager for enhancing product information infrastructure.
• Ensures continuous improvement in communicating sustainability attributes to customers through REI’s various communications and Marketing channels.
• Collects and tracks product sustainability metrics, including components of the SAC Higg Index.
• Manages deadlines and project details through regular and ongoing communication with cross-divisional partners.
• Tracks & reports on progress in collaboration with the sustainability leadership team and key divisional leads.
• Maintains a high level of knowledge and understanding of sustainability tools and emerging capabilities and the sustainable product roadmap of REI Private Brands.
• Demonstrated knowledge of sustainable business principles and experience related to implementation and practice in a business setting for a large, mission-focused organization.
• Demonstrated track record of successful program and project execution and partner development towards sustainability outcomes, engagement, and communication.
• Demonstrated track record of facilitating multi-stakeholder collaboration with internal and external partners.
• Demonstrated track record in using communications tools to drive engagement, reputation, and brand.
• 3+ years of proven project leadership in a cross functional environment with proven experience managing project timelines, KPIs, and strategic planning.
• BS or BA in a related field required, MBA or MEM preferred.
• Experience with the OIA Sustainability Working Group, Textile Exchange, SAC Higg Index, and product sustainability attributes preferred.
• Demonstrated business analysis, financial analysis, and sustainability analysis skills including proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. SAP enterprise system experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and diplomacy, work independently with a minimum of direction, use influence rather than authority, use sound judgment & problem-solving skills, and effectively prioritize projects and assignments with limited supervision.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, a commitment to accuracy and thoroughness.
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, and effectively manage and meet multiple, simultaneous deadlines with a minimum of assistance.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 2-3 years of experience with enterprise project management projects
• 2-3 years of experience in merchandising and/or product sourcing
• 2-3 years of outdoor industry experience preferred
• Specific knowledge of sustainable chemistry, social compliance, environmental management tools preferred
• Experience with SAP preferred
• Graduate-level degree (MBA or MEM) preferred
• Experience building relationships within the sustainability field
• Actively participates and collaborates with others on one’s own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
• Flexible in one’s viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
• Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you’ll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.